Province of B.C. Launches New Funding Program
To mark the 150th anniversary of Canada’s Confederation, the Province is launching a funding program to celebrate B.C. communities and their contribution to Canada. The Government of British Columbia will invest $8 million in museums and heritage sites throughout the province.
Grants will assist with:
- Developing infrastructure: Projects that improve or develop new museums spaces and/or facilities.
- Conserving historic places and heritage sites: Projects that preserve, rehabilitate and restore formally registered, designated or recognized historic places.
- Building lasting legacies: Projects that physically represent B.C.’s unique and diverse histories, culture and heritage (i.e., permanent exhibitions, monuments, public art, statues, interpretation, plaques and signage). Projects must include a permanent, publicly accessible physical component.
- Sharing our history: Projects that promote the sharing of collections and expertise between the Royal BC Museum, B.C.’s provincial museum and archives and the wider museum community to reveal the diverse historical narratives of British Columbia (e.g. collaborative exhibition design and development, curatorial exchanges and knowledge sharing and publications).
The program application deadline is February 10, 2017. Application forms and guidelines can be found here. If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, Please contact the BCMA’s program officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-356-5700.
Heritage Tax Credit Bill:
CALL TO ACTION
A few weeks ago, we reported on the Private Member’s Bill for the rehabilitation of historic buildings and designed to support those who invest in our cultural heritage.
What can you do to help?
In collaboration with the National Trust for Canada, we are offering three easy steps to support the passage of this Bill.
- First, use our template letter to write to your Member of Parliament.
- Write a letter to the Minister of Environment, who is responsible for built heritage in Canada.
- Let us know what action you’ve taken! Copy us on your emails or send us a copy of your letters to email@example.com.
To learn more about this Call To Action, please visit our website.
We are giving away two soft-cover copies of Building Resilience: Practical Guidelines for the Sustainable Rehabilitation of Buildings in Canada.
Click this link and answer this question: “What does heritage in the future mean to me?”
The first two people to respond will each receive a copy of the book in the mail. The draw is open to active Heritage BC members only.
The Awards Are Announced!
Join the celebration at the Heritage BC 36th Annual Awards Gala where the outstanding and significant achievements of British Columbia’s heritage conservation heroes are recognized! Purchase your tickets today.
Enjoy drinks, appetizers and networking with B.C.’s heritage advocates, organizations, groups, businesses and government officials as we honour the winners of the 36th Annual Heritage BC Awards.
Our awards gala venue, Heritage Hall, in Vancouver’s Mount Pleasant is an excellent example of adaptive reuse of a culturally significant heritage building. Originally Postal Station ‘C’, the building was rehabilitated in the early 1980’s to accommodate community event and office space. A book on the history of the Hall, Heritage Hall: Biography of a Building, was the recipient of a Heritage BC Award of Honour in 2003.
Network with some of the most influential people in our sector, congratulate award winners and celebrate with fellow leading and up-and-coming heritage enthusiasts.
Heritage BC 36th Annual Awards Gala
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Heritage Hall, 3102 Main Street, Vancouver
Networking Reception | 6:30pm-7:30pm
Awards Ceremony | 7:30pm-9pm
Networking and drinks | 9pm-10pm
Tickets | $50.00
Dress code | Cocktail Attire