Harper Government Announces Support to Build Capacity of BC’s Creative Industries
January 23, 2015 – Vancouver, British Columbia – Western Economic Diversification Canada
Today, Cathy McLeod, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Labour and for Western Economic Diversification, and Member of Parliament for Kamloops—Thompson—Cariboo, on behalf of the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, announced $1.2 million in funding to Creative BC to build the capacity of British Columbia’s creative industries.
With the WD funding, Creative BC will deliver a comprehensive and targeted trade and investment strategy. The strategy will increase the penetration of BC’s creative industries into domestic and international markets, improve awareness of BC’s investment opportunities and production capabilities, and increase the global significance and relevance of industry-related trade events.
Creative industries are one of the most rapidly growing sectors of the world economy. It is estimated that by 2015, global spending on the entertainment and media markets will reach $1.9 trillion. There exists the potential for tremendous growth within BC’s creative industries to capture a larger portion of this growing entertainment market. Creative BC’s project will build on British Columbia’s reputation as a global centre for the creative industries, leading to jobs, investment and growth across the sector.
• Creative BC represents the following creative industries: film, television, digital media, music, book and magazine publishing.
• BC is one of the leading film and television production centres in North America generating approximately $1.4 billion in production spending in BC in 2013/2014.
• BC has the largest number of interactive gaming companies in Canada.
• BC has the second largest English language book and publishing sector outside of Ontario.
• BC is the third largest centre for music production in Canada and has a large and diverse talent pool of artists producing all genres of music.
“Our creative industries are an important economic driver and employer. With our Government’s support, Creative BC will have the ability to market BC’s strengths in this sector by improving export development and investment attraction with the goal of promoting jobs and growth.”
– Cathy McLeod, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Labour and for Western Economic Diversification
“BC has a diverse and dynamic creative sector which is well-positioned to succeed on the global stage. Creative BC is grateful to the federal government for this funding as it will play an essential role in advancing the creative sector internationally and in developing BC’s reputation as a global centre of excellence for creative content production.”
– Richard Brownsey, President and CEO Creative BC
• British Columbia Film Industry gets a Boost from Federal Government: http://www.wd.gc.ca/eng/77_12695.asp
• Creative BC: http://www.creativebc.com/